Tuesday, September 11, 2007

"Beforehand Thankful"

I like that phrase, "beforehand thankful". It was the first thing that made me smile today (so far). But the day is early.

I happened upon this charming mistranslation of the English phrase "Thanks in advance", made so much nicer by one "Sergey Bondarenko", a very gracious fellow apparently from the Ukraine. He'd just asked for help from anyone on a Wikipedia discussion page re: a technical matter about flight data recorders. (Long story..)

Here's the whole message, and I haven't changed a thing except the font colors:

"Hello! My name is Sergey Bondarenko. I am very interesting in air safety control especially flight data recorders! Actually I cannot find discription of any one! I am especially interesting in harware, main principal of operation. It would be very kind of you if you help me with it. Beforehand thankful. Oh by the way my e- mail is bondarenkoss@ukr.net , if you have some information, please receive it there!"

I really like this guy. I may write to him. He has a lovely way with English. "Beforehand thankful." I love it.

No comments: